Texting and Driving
Our cell phones have become a big part of our lives. texting while driving, or even worse when they are talking on the phone and driving. What are the facts and law about texting and driving? This is everything you need to know before you are texting again, while you are behind the wheel of your car.
On a personal level, I have seen texting and driving many times. Everytime i drive anywhere, i can see someone looking down at their phone instead of the road. It is almost turned into an epidemic. School your teenagaers and take heed. I think the issue of texting while driving will only get worse.
Statistics of texting and driving
Half of the car accidents in the US have phone involved, either by texting and driving, or taking phone calls.
It is shocking when you are looking at the statistics of using a phone while driving. Many people think that the government is overreacting to the new laws about texting or phoning while driving. The moment that you see these statistics, you will understand that this is becoming a serious problem and that there are so many people getting injured or die because of using their phones while they are driving:
- There are about 1.6 million accidents each year that were caused by cell phone usage. This is according to the national safety council. Over half of car accidents in the united states involved cell phones.
- 330,000 car accidents were reported during 2017, because of car accidents where cell phones were used while driving. Of those car accidents, 421,000 people were injured.
- One out of every four car accidents were caused by using a cell phone while driving. This makes it one of the most common causes of accidents in the USA.
- It is six times more likely that you might be in a car accident because of texting and driving, than getting into a car accident because of a drunk driver. This is scary to think about
- Texting is the most dangerous activity on your phone that you can do while driving.
- You are 23 times more likely to be involved in a car accident because of texting and driving
- 10% of adults carry on a conversation by text while they are driving a car
Texting and Driving statistics on Teenagers
Teenage Car accidents from texting and driving or cell phone usage are very alarming. About 82% of teenagers own a cell phone, and they use it.
- Texting and driving kills 11 teens each day
- 21% of teenagers who died in a car accident were using a cell phone
- 32% of tenagers text and drive
- 52% talk on the phone while they are operating a car or truck
- 25% respond to a text while driving everytime they are operating a vehicle
- 400% higher chance of being involved in car wreck while texting and driving
- 20% have conversations by text while driving
Why is it dangerous to text and drive?
There are three main reasons why it is so dangerous to text and drive. And, this the part that so many people don’t understand. They think that the rules about texting are ridiculous, until they are in a car accident. These are the three main reasons why it is so dangerous to text while you are driving.
You don’t concentrate on the road anymore
Your mind is with the text that you need to answer. And, if this is a text that can cause trauma or get angry, it is more likely that your concentration is going to be with the text and not with driving safely.
Your hand isn’t on the steering wheel
The moment that you are starting to text back, your hand isn’t on the steering wheel anymore. This can mean that you can’t react fast when you are in danger of causing an accident. You can lose control of your vehicle a lot faster, and you will be more likely to cause a car accident because of it.
Your eyes are not on the Road
• The last and most important reason is that you are taking your eyes off the road. The most dangerous thing that you can do. You need to look what you are texting. And, no matter how good you are at texting, you are going to take your eyes off the road. Even, just a second can cause a huge accident with fatalities or serious injuries.
When you are talking and driving, your eyes are on the road, but your mind and concentration isn’t on the road. And, you will not have both hands on the steering wheel. The one hand is holding your phone.
Does this mean that talking on your phone and driving is safer?
When you are looking at the statistics, and you see that texting and car accidents are so serious, does that mean that you can talk on your phone and drive? No, this doesn’t mean that talking on your phone while driving is any safer. You are still not focussing on the road and other road users. You are still going to take your eyes off the road to see who is calling and to answer the phone.
This is why you are getting hands-free device that you can install in your vehicle. It is preventing you from looking away or for taking your hands off the steering wheel. This can be something that can save lives.
What is the law saying?
There are many rules and regulations about texting and driving in the US. It is illegal to text and drive, or even to talk on the phone without a hands-free device while you are driving. In some states, it is illegal for teens younger than 17 to drive with a hands-free device. Even, if this means that they will have their eyes on the road. Texting and driving is a criminal offense and most states are taking this seriously. Especially, if you have caused an accident while texting and driving, and someone has died or is seriously injured because of you.
We just bought a new vehicle not too long ago. Before we left the dealer, the salesman had to connect and explain all the bluetooth features of the vehicle. Vehicles that are manufactured now have to come with bluetooth and be hands free. I was told, don’t know if this is true, that every salesman or woman has to explain the bluetooth features on any car or truck they sell and connect a device before the car leaves the lot.
Laws to vary from state to state concerning use of cell phones and driving, so this is not definitive to just one state.
What is going to happen when you are in an accident that was caused by using a cell phone?
There are a couple of things that can happen when you are in an accident that was caused by using a phone. You need to get the right amount of evidence, that the person used their phones while they were driving. Because this is their fault, it is also their responsibility to repair the vehicle and to pay for any medical bills because of the injuries caused by the car accident. Your license can even be taken away, and you will not be able to drive for between 6 and 18 months. Depending on the seriousness of the car accident.
Making it safer to use your phone while driving
It is important to know how you can make it safer to use your phone while you are operating a car or truck. If you are afraid that you are going to get a text, you postheaven.net/ossidyaikq/img can switch off your phone, or put it into silent mode. If you don’t know that you received a text or phone call, you will not be influenced to answer and to risk your life and the life of all the other road users. It is best to have a hands-free device that will make sure that you are able to talk to the person without taking their eyes off the road and to ensure that there isn’t any car accident caused by any form of texting.
Texting and driving. We are getting warnings all the time about doing this. This is serious and you should never, ever answer or text on your phone while you are operating a vehicle. This is going to give you a lot of problems and heartache. Leaving your text until you have parked your car might mean the difference between life and death.